Sunday, November 15, 2009

Star Commander

In conjunction of Starcraft II beta test release. I want to share this to every starcraft fan. I am a computer guy, I like computer very much even I want to make it to talk to me.


Anyone know about Voice Recognition? Text to Speech? You might see these technologies in mobile phone or some funny machine.


Actually, since Window XP. Microsoft has installed a speech engine in the window. We can train the window to listen to us. Tech it to listen us well for different accent of English.
I am a programmer. I am totally crazy with advance and high tech stuff. Now. Star trek is my favourite. ("Computer generate report!!!"). Hey, no one will type so much in star trek. Isn't it?


Lady and gentleman,
I like to present to you my small litter program. I call it Star Commander.
This litter simple program enable player to use voice to command the actions.


I give you an example.


Double click the terrans marines and say Steam Packs. Automatically, the marines are packed with steam. Hahaha..


This is super cool, real command real voice and real action.
I think this changes the game playing experience in total.


No more shaking hand on the hard to remember shortcut keys. A lot of them.




I tested with first version of star craft. It works fine. I only have the Terrans' Command in the file with extension xml. You can simply open it up and add other race's command. You can even change the command name like Steam Packs to Stim F*cking Packs.


If you want to try it out please go to
  1. Download strcmder.zip
  2. Unzip it
  3. Change the StarCommander.txt to StarCommander.exe
  4. Run the exe (you have to be in Vista or with .NET Framework 3.0 and above)
  5. Prepare you mic
  6. Start your starcraft
  7. Start playing
  8. Training your voice recognition of window. Goto control panel to trigger the training.
Hell, it's about time...



2 comments:

  1. Hi there.

    I am reading through some personal blogs in the field of Starcraft and have found your article.

    I am preparing to launch a prototyping website that you might be interested to know, so I thought I'd share it and perhaps get some of your feedback on. Here's the info if you're interested: http://zergoverflow.com - It is a Q&A platform to discussion all topics in Starcraft I and II. You can find info on Zerg Overflow from there.

    Please don't hesitate to contact me if you have any questions about it. I'd be happy to assign you as moderator if you able to stick around.

    Thanks!
    Travis

    ReplyDelete